Monday, July 23, 2012

Flourless Chocolate Caramel Cake

Now, one of my favourite cook books (I have several, I don't know where they come from, I swear, they just keep turning up), is called "Chocolate".

Yes. That's the whole title. I think it's perfect.

Today is a friend's birthday, so I made a cake for her (she can have it tomorrow, even though tomorrow will not be her birthday anymore).

I made a "Flourless Chocolate Caramel Cake with Walnut Chocolate Glaze".

Oh, yes. Yes I did.

It's so delicious and nutritious (not a bit, but I'm making the claim anyways because of the 2 1/4 cups dark chocolate).

Here's the recipe:

Flourless Chocolate Caramel Cake

3/4 oz (1/4 cups) unsweetened Dutch processed cocoa, sifted. Extra for pan.

12 oz (2 1/4 cups) chopped bittersweet or dark chocolate

6 oz (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, cut into about 6 pieces for faster melting

5 large eggs

1 cup white sugar

1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1/4 tsp salt and two tablespoons of water.

2-3 caramel filled chocolate bars (I use Caramilk, because they are my favourite caramel filling)

1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Butter, parchment, rebutter and dust with cocoa a 9 inch round or 8 inch square pan.

2. Melt butter in a large bowl (I used the microwave for this whole bit, if you don't like using a mic, then do this in a bain marie) in the microwave for about 1 minute or until completely melted. Dump the chopped chocolate in and stir until the majority of chocolate is completely melted. This keeps the chocolate from seizing or scorching. If all the chocolate doesn't melt, toss the bowl back in the mic for another 10 seconds. If you don't use a microwave, I have no words for you. Either you're awesomeness squared or a total douche. Yes, it's an either/ or situation.

3. With a stand (or hand) mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, water, vanilla and salt on med high until completely foamy, doubled in size and a pale yellow colour (it takes about two minutes). Now reduce the speed to low (or don't, but this will splatter like a MOFO if you don't), and slowly pour the chocolate butter mixture into the egg/ sugar crap. Increase speed to med high again for 30 seconds. Now, dump in the sifted cocoa powder and mix on LOW (again you don't have to- I didn't and got a snoot full of cocoa for my trouble. And if you think doing a rail of cocoa powder might be a good thing for chocoholics, think again, it hurts like the bejeezus) for about 20 seconds or just until blended.

4. Pour 1/2 the batter into your prepared pan. Now, use as many caramel filled chocolate bars as you need to make a decent layer all across the pan. Top with remaining batter (fill right to 1/4 inch from top, it doesn't rise and flop out usually).

5. Oven at 300 for 40-50 minutes. Bake only until a pick inserted in the middle comes out with gooey clumps (sounds good eh?). You don't want to over bake, because it sets up all fudgy- like if you do it properly and like a dry piece of shit if you don't.

6. Let the cake cool IN PAN on wire rack for 30 minutes before attempting to flop it out onto a serving platter. Run a small knife around the edges just to release them before you do flip it over. Let the cake cool completely. Cover and refrigerate until it's very cold, at least 6 hours.

Walnut Chocolate Glaze

1/4 cup toasted walnuts (I just buy regular walnuts and dry heat them in a pan for a few minutes for toastiness).
1/4 lb (3/4 cups) chopped bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 oz (3 tablespoons) butter

1. Melt butter in microwave, add chocolate, stir about until smooth. Exactly like you did the night before.

2. Lay the crushed, toasted walnuts on top of the cake, then pour that glaze over everything. If you don't like walnuts (my husband is stupid and doesn't like walnuts), you can skip the nuts and get some coarse kosher salt and give a VERY LIGHT sprinkle of salt over the top of the chocolate glaze. VERY LIGHT. Seriously, I shouldn't need to explain "very light"- but I will, just in case. Very light is so that you only get a smidge of salt into each bite to compliment the caramel. VERY EFFIN' LIGHT WITH THE DAMNED SALT.

TIP: When you are cutting a really dense cake, heat the knife up before cutting, by either holding it under a hot faucet or in a tall glass of hot water, WIPE the knife dry before slicing. Rinse and repeat this several times to keep the cake from sticking. A creme brulee torch works too, but no one will let me have one of those.

1 comment:

  1. As pointed out to me by my pastry chef aunt, this type of cake is called a 'Queen of Sheba' or 'Reine de Saba'.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to share comments. If I find your comment offensive- which is pretty hard since I am *almost* unoffendable- I won't publish it.